The Delphi Antinous was found in July 1893 during the excavations done by the archaeologist Théophile Homolle and the École Française d'Athènes, close the temple of Apollo, and it was discovered still standing upright as seen in this photo taken as the statue was being uearthed.
The statue, lovingly polished for
centuries, was, in some Barbarian incursion, toppled over, loosing both
arms, Afterwards, however, it was gently raised and re-erected without
its arms in another chapel further up the sacred way.
The Delphi Antinous is a cult statue of
Antinous as the divine ephebe, sculpted in Parian marble during the
reign of Hadrian. The head of the Antinous at Delphi wears such a crown
of intertwined vegetal stems, but the leaves are missing, they were
probably done in metal and then fixed to the holes drilled into the
A beleza de Cannes
Há 8 anos